A Nephrologist or A Urologist?!

The difference between the Nephrologist and the Urologist

Nephrology is a sub-specialty of internal medicine concerned with studying kidney functions, diseases, problems, treatment, and conditions affecting the kidneys, such as diabetes and high blood pressure.


The kidneys carry out essential functions in the human body as follows:

• Purify the blood of waste and impurities
• Collecting wastes from the blood and transferring them to the bladder to get rid of them through urine
• Maintaining the body's pH


A nephrologist is an internist who specializes in treating diseases that affect the kidneys and impair their functions.


The nephrologist receives the following cases:

• Inflammation of the kidneys
• Chronic kidney disease
• Diabetic nephropathy
• Acute renal insufficiency
• Cases of kidney failure that require dialysis.
• Prepares patients for kidney transplantation-if needed- and follows them up after transplantation.


Urology and Andrology is a branch of surgery that focuses on treating urinary tract problems in men and women and problems of the reproductive system in men only.

The urologist treats diseases of the urinary system, whether the condition requires medical treatment or surgical intervention.


The urologist receives the following cases:

• Urinary tract and bladder infections
• Kidney and urinary tract stones
• Enuresis and bedwetting
• Prostate diseases, including benign prostatic hyperplasia



To prevent kidney and urinary tract diseases, follow these prescriptions:

• Avoid overusing over-the-counter medications and painkillers.
• Monitoring chronic diseases that may lead to kidney damage (blood pressure and diabetes).
• Maintain drinking water.
• Maintain physical activity.
• Maintain a healthy weight.
• Eat healthy, balanced food.
• Avoid smoking and alcohol.



An annual check-up of the kidneys and urinary tract is necessary for people having a history of diseases, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity, or if a family member suffers from kidney disease.

Do not hesitate to consult a nephrologist or a urologist if you feel any changes in urine or pain in the kidneys or bladder to get the required health care.